Simply competing in the marketplace, with nothing more, provides many difficulties. Intellectual property provides a much needed competitive edge to the owner. Increasingly, businesses are realizing the competitive and monetary value of intellectual property. Our Intellectual Property and Technology Practice Group provides effective, practical and cost-efficient partnering with clients in matters concerning intellectual property, e-commerce and the Internet.
Strategically located with multiple offices in New England, Sheehan Phinney focuses on solid IP procurement, enforcement, and strategy, while also considering related corporate law issues, thereby adding comprehensive business strategists to your team. While many of our IP attorneys come from larger cities such as New York, Boston, and Atlanta, Sheehan Phinney maintains its headquarters in New Hampshire, which enables us to provide award-winning talent, but at below market cost.
Sheehan Phinney attorneys provide goal driven, practical, and cost-efficient advice to clients in matters concerning all aspects of IP, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, e-commerce, prosecution, litigation, licensing, legal opinions, IP portfolio management and consolidation, and Internet law. We do this by working with clients to evaluate, protect, and enforce their IP rights, and to ensure that those rights are part of an ongoing, overall business strategy, from start-up to exit. Sheehan Phinney provides customized intellectual property audits tailored to aide leading businesses in capitalizing on their IP assets. Click here for specifics on our audit services.
We enjoy a diverse client base ranging from solo inventors and start-ups, to Fortune 500 companies and major research universities. Regardless of the client size, our goals, quality of work, and dedication remain the same. Additionally, due to a large international client base and managing global intellectual property portfolios, we maintain long-term relationships with agents throughout the world, thereby obtaining strong discounts that we pass on to our clients. We are the exclusive New Hampshire law firm for Lex Mundi, enabling us to partner with counsel on a global level enhancing our ability to address clients’ needs around the world.
Sheehan Phinney’s Intellectual Property Law Practice Group has received numerous awards and recognitions over the years, including Managing Intellectual Property Magazine – Intellectual Property, Tier 1, Highly Recommended Law Firm; New Hampshire Intellectual Property Law Firm of the Year – Corporate INTL Magazine Global Awards; New Hampshire Trademark Law Firm of the Year – Corporate INTL Magazine Global Awards; New Hampshire Business Review’s “Best of Business” award – Best Law Firm in the Intellectual Property category, Chambers USA – Top Tier, Best Lawyers in America and New England Super Lawyers.
- Intellectual property counsel for one of the region’s top dental insurers.
- Intellectual property counsel for one of the country’s top educational software companies.
- Negotiated and drafted software agreements for a multi-million dollar system on behalf of a substantial nonprofit organization, dealing with some of the country’s top software and service providers.
- Successfully represented a manufacturer of floral industry products in a significant case in Indiana that included cutting-edge developments in the law pertaining to trade dress and dilution issues, some of which went to the Seventh Circuit on appeal.
- Intellectual property counsel for one of the country’s top yogurt companies.
- Trademark litigation counsel for one of the country’s top appliance manufacturers.
- Patent litigation counsel for various national companies.
- Footwear manufacturer counsel with regard to online sweepstakes and contests.
- Counsel to a manufacturer of vitamin, mineral and nutritional supplement products in developing and improving intellectual property protection and intellectual property rights.
- IP counsel to one of the top international designers and manufacturers of high performance audio systems.
- Preparation and negotiation of multi-million dollar license agreements including terms associated with intellectual property.
- Prevented patent litigation multiple times by successfully proving invalidity of patent being enforced.
- Preparation and prosecution of patent applications for one of the premier educational institutions in electrical engineering.