Our Labor and Employment attorneys represent private and public sector clients throughout New England. They are experienced in all aspects of employment law, labor relations and employee benefits. In particular, because of the ever-changing number of workplace laws and regulations, our lawyers stay on top of federal and state developments and assist employers in understanding and effectively managing an increasingly complex range of workplace legal issues.
Education and counseling are the cornerstones of our practice. In this area of the law, an ounce of prevention is truly worth a pound of cure. Our experienced team counsels clients on how to deal with difficult and time-sensitive workplace problems before they become claims. If claims do occur, we aggressively defend our clients in state and federal court, as well as before administrative tribunals.
Here are some examples of our services:
- Counseling employers on how to handle: hiring, wage and hour, workplace discrimination, worker safety, family leave, employee misconduct, employee privacy, drug and alcohol testing, employee benefits, unfair competition, workplace violence, and discipline and termination problems.
- Drafting and reviewing employee handbooks, employment contracts, collective bargaining agreements, pension and profit-sharing plans, employee benefit plans, personnel policies and nonsolicitation, confidentiality and restrictive covenants agreements.
- Defending our clients against workplace claims including: employment discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful discharge, retaliation, wage and hour and unfair competition claims.
- Training managers and supervisors how to: prevent and properly address sexual harassment and often discrimination complaints; deal with the threat of workplace violence; conduct internal investigations; and implement effective performance evaluation systems.
- Assisting employers with: compliance audits, government investigations, visa petitions and immigration law compliance, proper record keeping, personnel information disclosures, employee benefit plan compliance issues, affirmative action plans, and responses to requests from government agencies.
- Representing management in collective bargaining negotiations, as well as grievance and unfair labor practice hearings.
Our Labor and Employment Group hosts many events and webinars throughout the year. Visit our events page to see a current list of firm hosted events.