Corporate law requires a broad range of interdisciplinary skills: knowing the laws governing formation and operation of business entities, and rights and obligations of managers and owners; knowledge of securities laws that dictate how ownership is distributed and capital raised; managing negotiated acquisitions, whether by asset sale, share sale or merger; shaping the characteristics of a business organization to meet an owner’s succession plans; and a sensitivity to the legal environment in which directors and managers, and those advising them, are held to enhanced standards of responsibility.
Sheehan Phinney brings a wealth of experience in all these skills to assist our clients in all matters related to corporate law and governance, including business formation, structuring of shareholders agreements and operating agreements, equity offerings, equity incentive arrangements, and M&A activities. Our lawyers regularly advise business owners, boards of directors, entrepreneurs and executives to help them navigate the complexities of establishing, funding, operating and maintaining their businesses. We pride ourselves on providing advice that is accurate, practical and timely.
Our corporate group is supported by specialists from other disciplines such as: taxation, employment law and environmental, among others.
The Corporate Law Group handles a broad array of cases in the following law areas:
- Franchise Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Law
- Private Companies (including professional practices)
- Business Formation
- Distressed Assets
- Led major transactions involving the sale of a national chain of retail outlet centers; the acquisition of medical technology companies and automotive products manufacturers; and the financing of technology-intensive entities.
- Prepare cross-purchase agreements among business owners, and assist clients in planning for an orderly diversification or transfer of ownership among family members or employees.
- Worked with the sponsor and investors in a telecommunications company to design and implement corporate governance structures that maintain centralized management while incorporating appropriate input from shareholders on board nominations, elections and composition.
- Primary counsel to State of New Hampshire’s community economic development authority.
- Regularly advise corporate clients on the design, drafting and implementation of equity incentive plans for employees and advisers, including stock option, restricted stock, stock appreciation rights and stock purchase plans and associated repurchase option arrangements. In doing so, Sheehan Phinney lawyers plan around tax, corporate governance and share ownership considerations.