Doug is an integral member of Sheehan Phinney’s intellectual property law practice, having previously chaired the firm’s IP Practice Group for close to 10 years. In addition to his intellectual property law practice, he presently chairs the firm’s Franchise and Distribution Law Practice Group and is a key member of the firm’s privacy and security law practice. Doug’s clients range from start-ups to companies with a global presence, representing diverse business interests, including manufacturing, technology, healthcare, education, and the arts. He also works closely with foreign counsel in numerous countries in connection with the protection of his clients’ rights abroad. Having litigated and negotiated complex intellectual property, commercial, and corporate cases, Doug’s litigation background enables him to bring those insights and skills to his transactional practice.
Doug works with clients in the following areas:
- Trademark protection, including initial trademark selection, screening, coordinating with marketing personnel, opinions, prosecution and maintenance of trademark registrations, and dispute resolution
- Franchise transactions with a focus on franchisees
- Copyright protection, including registrations and dispute resolution
- Trade secret protection, including nondisclosure agreements and dispute resolution
- Privacy and data protection, including privacy policies and cookies notices and policies, negotiation of privacy and security provisions in contracts, and helping clients comply with various privacy and security laws